This encompasses what I’ve done over the past 2 days.
- Emailed Phil about next task (Mavenizing AirFileImageApp)
- After dealing with some checkout issues, got the application and am familiarizing self with code
- Began reading documentation about Maven (from Apache site); running through examples using Maven
Time to start blogging again…
What I’ve done since being back:
- Moved most of my workspace from my old laptop to the shiny new one and finagled admin on it
- Spoke with Phil and Brian about the new project and broke it down in to several smaller but still huge pieces:
- Some kind of dynamic swf loader which will manage “apps” and communication between them
- A data manager responsible for handling all data requests and syncing data changes with the server
- An interface for writing and executing scripts on the server
- Worked on a prototype swf loader
- It’s currently capable of loading a swf which is not actually a stand-alone swf that is simply display in a container but treated more as a bundle of classes. Each class in the bundle is loaded in to memory and a new instance of whatever is needed can be spawned
- Classes are registered with a static ModuleManager and when events are thrown requesting a new app by name (full class-path name), a new instance is created and added to the main stage
- Created several samples “apps” which contains chart / text / datagrids and static data.
- Created a “Debug” app containing the logger datagrid but having some difficulty with it. It’s throwing weird errors complaining that the datagrid columns have zero width. Need to walk through the debugger more.
- Created a generic transition for switching between apps and added it to the swf loader
- Spent some time thinking about the data model and how it should work, have a few ideas about both the flex and java side for a very generic data model
Stuff on the immediate to do list:
- Get a configuration file read in by the SWF loader containg connection info and swf module URLs
- Get a data model started
- Try loading some data from XML files directly in to the flex data model (before trying to connect to a java server for data)
- Changed the windows installer to be able to tell if the localhost is secure or not and change the type of amf it uses. Posted it on the website.
- Realized that the visibility documentation wasn’t being properly pointed to in the demo. Fixed this so it now opens the appropriate page.
- Added a link to the Visibility Documentation to the website
Current Status of Projects:
- Assembly of the new prototype for the Feldman Project is about 70% complete. Still needs strain gauges and the associated wiring. Waiting for multi-conductor wire and glue to come in
- Multi-platform version of the webapp installer is nearly complete. The benefit of this one over the windows version, is that it will also allow you to set-up the initial database from a script as long as the database doesn’t already exist. Also I am looking into self-extracting scripts so that the final product, after someone configures it to their application, will be a standard executable that automatically brings up the configuration interface for the user.
- In order to determine the next step for the Visibility documentation, I really need to have someone who has never used the tool to walk through my current tutorial and give me feedback. I will try to get my mom(or even better my dad, lol) to walk through it over the holiday. In the meantime, I will create tutorials for the features that were not covered in the Basic features tutorial.