Still testing positive – it’s been 9-10 days. I feel fine though. And it turns out that my health insurance doesn’t cover antigen tests because of course it doesn’t
- Woke up early thinking about writing the next proposal for the MC Press. To do it right is going to be complex. Princeton wanted stuff that I already had in the template, so I sent that in instead
- Adding an experiment input file that will take a txt file with entries separated by CRs – done. Need to add an option to save or update an experiment as well
- Add corpus size reached code so that we don’t pull more tweets per item than we should. Written but not tested
- Work on the quarterly report – had a good meeting with Loren
- Reach out to Dr. J to schedule presentation? Still need to do this
- Is there still a JSC meeting? Nope. Did make a wishlist for data
A Deeper Understanding of Deep Learning
- Recent research has clarified that learning systems operate in an entirely different regime when they are highly overparameterized, such that more parameters let them generalize better. Moreover, this property is shared not just by neural networks but by more comprehensible methods, which makes more systematic analysis possible.
- Sent the proposal off to Yale. Thirteen houses to go and then I don’t know what to do. Probably ping Andreea? Also try to reach out to Gaia Vince
- MIT next. Their first cull is a letter that’s a condensed version of the proposal – done
- More Tooltips
- Meeting today. Good meeting! We’re going to look at drugs as a proxy. Easier than slang
- Sprint planning. I think this is going to be a case of writing the quarterly report and getting the presentation ready and scheduled. Maybe a little coding around the borders
- MDA catchup with Ron and Rukan. Need to give them writing assignments. Also Loren
If you listen closely, you can feel fall coming
So I went to Spain on a two-week biking vacation with some riding buddies, which was a lot of fun (HOT – We went in the middle of the 2022 European Heat Wave). Getting home sucked though. The flight was delayed 14 hours, and I stood in many lines with an Airbus A300(?) full of people for 5 hours or so, and managed to catch some version of Covid. That was a cough, and then a fever, which got up to 100.5F.
I was able to do a telehealth visit and get a course of Paxlovid, which stopped the fever cold in about 8 hours. It’s a multi-day regimen, and your mouth tastes like metal, but one the whole, one of those remarkable medical feats.
There is a thing known as Paxlovid rebound, where you test positive for Covid, even though you have no symptoms. That’s me at the moment. Eight days after initial symptoms, I’m back to testing positive. Which means at this point, the post-vacation headaches are now half the length as the actual vacation. And I still haven’t applied for the hotel refund from the airline.
I don’t have any lessons to offer, other than saying that international travel is a fraught thing. In the end, a little over half my group wound up with Covid. I’m just not sure that this kind of trip is worth it at this time.
- Look at the code and the TODO’s and figure out what’s next. There don’t seem to be any other than to add tooltips? This did not turn out to be straightforward, but as usual, there is a Stackoverflow solution
- Added tooltips to TweetCountsExplorer