Gotta get used to writing dates
7:00 – 5:00 ASRC PhD NASA
- Continuing my deep neural network writeup
- Continuing Holt-Winters work with Aaron
- Continuing to read Clockwork Muse
- Martindale spends the book talking about poetry, but I’m listening to Kind of Blue right now and I realize that Jazz is similar. The thought leaders are in some state where they are paying attention to each other and not much else. That’s how we get a trajectory that leads to Bitches Brew.
- I think this is probably a generally applicable pattern. The thing that I need to think through is how a small group of highly creative people in what could be described as an echo-ish chamber differs from mass activity in a large attractor like authoritarianism.
- We want to know how many dimensions are needed to account for the similarities among poets. Fortunately, once we have correlated all of the poets with one another, a procedure called multidimensional scaling will tell us just this.* Multidimensional scaling tells us that the twenty-one French poets differ along three· main dimensions. These three dimensions account for 94 percent of the similarity matrix. (Page 114)
- I have spent the day doing PHENOMENALLY STUPID MATH (Holt exponential smoothing with drecksnest damping). Excel file: ExponentialSmoothing2