Check MVA – done!
Set up a longer ride for tomorrow – done!
Combining interventions to reduce the spread of viral misinformation
- Misinformation online poses a range of threats, from subverting democratic processes to undermining public health measures. Proposed solutions range from encouraging more selective sharing by individuals to removing false content and accounts that create or promote it. Here we provide a framework to evaluate interventions aimed at reducing viral misinformation online both in isolation and when used in combination. We begin by deriving a generative model of viral misinformation spread, inspired by research on infectious disease. By applying this model to a large corpus (10.5 million tweets) of misinformation events that occurred during the 2020 US election, we reveal that commonly proposed interventions are unlikely to be effective in isolation. However, our framework demonstrates that a combined approach can achieve a substantial reduction in the prevalence of misinformation. Our results highlight a practical path forward as misinformation online continues to threaten vaccination efforts, equity and democratic processes around the globe.
- Start U of Wisc proposal – Whoops! They don’t publish in this area. They do give nice links though
- Maybe University of Chicago Press?
- Book Submissions
- A good proposal will include an accessible overview of the work, a chapter-by-chapter summary, an account of your book’s relationship to comparable or competing works, your assessment of your book’s audience, and practical details including length, number of illustrations, and the status of the work. Most book proposals are 5-10 single-spaced pages long. For suggestions on proposals and other elements of a submission, we highly recommend chapter 5 of William Germano’s Getting It Published.
- Reading up to chapter 5, at least.
- Also got Writing Science in Plain English, since I may (let’s be honest – probably) have to do another rewrite
- Also got an email from Springer, so they are looking?
- 3:00 Meeting with Nabeel
- Add pulls of more than 500. Hopefully it’s just uncommenting and verifying?
- Start reading file documentation – done with HDFProc
- Asked for the exe and a test file