When robots set advertising
Eclipse next year in the West: www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2023-october-14
Galactica is an AI trained on humanity’s scientific knowledge. You can use it as a new interface to access and manipulate what we know about the universe. (Made by Papers with Code, Meta AI)
Characterizing Emergent Phenomena in Large Language Models
- In “Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models,” recently published in the Transactions on Machine Learning Research (TMLR), we discuss the phenomena of emergent abilities, which we define as abilities that are not present in small models but are present in larger models. More specifically, we study emergence by analyzing the performance of language models as a function of language model scale, as measured by total floating point operations (FLOPs), or how much compute was used to train the language model. However, we also explore emergence as a function of other variables, such as dataset size or number of model parameters (see the paper for full details). Overall, we present dozens of examples of emergent abilities that result from scaling up language models. The existence of such emergent abilities raises the question of whether additional scaling could potentially further expand the range of capabilities of language models.
- More migration. Done with part one! Don is working on getting me a studio.
- Update annotated bibliography
- Finish Overriding Ethical Constraints – done
- Read Human Augmentation and Nuclear Risk – done
- Update spreadsheet
- Start writing!
- 4:00 Meeting
- Looking more at the Mastodon API
- Mastodon instances and network API
- Would it make sense to create a “ghost(?)” server that simply collects data and calculates statistics?