7:00 – 5:00 ASRC MKT
- Sent T a travel request for the conference. Yeah, it’s about as late as it could be, but I just found out that I hadn’t registered completely…
- Got Tensorflow running on my laptop. Can’t get Python 2.x warnings to not show. Grrrr.
- Had to turn off privacy badger to get the TF videos to play. Nicely done
- Information Fostering – Being Proactive with Information Seeking and Retrieval [Perspective Paper]
- Understanding topic, task, and intention
- People are boxed in when looking for information. Difficult to encouraging broad thinking
- Ryan White – tasks? Cortana?
- What to do when things go bad:
- The Role of the Task Topic in Web Search of Different Task Types.
Daniel Hienert, Matthew Mitsui, Philipp Mayr, Chirag Shah and Nicholas Belkin
- Juggling with Information Sources, Task Type, and Information Quality
Yiwei Wang, Shawon Sarkar and Chirag Shah
- Doing tasks in a study has an odd bias that drives users to non-social information sources. Since the user is not engaged in a “genuine” task, the request of other people isn’t considered as viable.
- ReQuIK: Facilitating Information Discovery for Children Through Query Suggestions.
Ion Madrazo, Oghenemaro Anuyah, Nevena Dragovic and Maria Soledad Pera
- LSTM model + hand-coded heuristics combined deep and wide. LSTM produces 92% accuracy, Hand-rolled 68%, both 94%
- Wordnet-based similarity
- Improving exploration of topic hierarchies: comparative testing of simplified Library of Congress Subject Heading structures.
Jesse David Dinneen, Banafsheh Asadi, Ilja Frissen, Fei Shu and Charles-Antoine Julien
- Pruning large scale structures to support visualization
- Browsing complexity calculations
- Really nice. Dynamically pruned trees, with the technical capability for zooming at a local level
- Fixation and Confusion – Investigating Eye-tracking Participants’ Exposure to Information in Personas.
Joni Salminen, Jisun An, Soon-Gyo Jung, Lene Nielsen, Haewoon Kwak and Bernard J. Jansen
- LDA topic extraction
- Eyetribe – under $200. Bought by Facebook
- Attribute similarity as a form of diversity injection
- “I just scroll through my stuff until I find it or give up”: A Contextual Inquiry of PIM on Private Handheld Devices.
Amalie Jensen, Caroline Jægerfelt, Sanne Francis, Birger Larsen and Toine Bogers
- contextual inquiry – good at uncovering tacit interactions
- Looking at the artifacts of PIM
- Augmentation of Human Memory: Anticipating Topics that Continue in the Next Meeting
Seyed Ali Bahrainian and Fabio Crestani
- Social Interactions Log Analysis System (Bahrainian et. al)
- Proactive augmentation of memory
- LDA topic extraction
- Recency effect could apply to distal ends of a JuryRoom discussion
- Characterizing Search Behavior in Productivity Software.
Horatiu Bota, Adam Fourney, Susan Dumais, Tomasz L. Religa and Robert Rounthwaite